Compiling Mixmaster 2.9 beta under FreeBSD

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Fri Sep 14 15:17:42 PDT 2001

Earlier I mentioned that I was having difficulty building the current
Mixmaster on FreeBSD - I'm confident that I've identified the problem.

Specifically, the OpenSSL that's integrated into FreeBSD doesn't include
IDEA, by default, because of patent concerns. To remedy that, one needs to
change the line in /etc/defaults/make.conf so that it reads "MAKE_IDEA=YES".

Then - this is the part I missed before - it's necessary to recompile the
system libraries, so that they're rebuilt with IDEA support included. It
sounds simple in retrospect . . . go to /usr/src and run "make buildworld;
make installworld", which may take 12 hours or so on a slow PC. There's got
to be a better way to just rebuild the crypto parts, but I didn't stumble
across it yet.

After those steps are completed, the Mixmaster stuff builds and runs
happily. Mixmaster 2.9beta23 is available at
<ftp://ftp.shinn.net/pub/remailer/mixmaster> or
<ftp://mixmaster.anonymizer.com>.

I suspect that the OpenBSD fix will be similar, but it may take some time
to track it all down.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com
"We have found and closed the thing you watch us with." -- New Delhi street kids