Crypto-anonymity greases HUMINT intelligence flows

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 14 13:38:24 PDT 2001

Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:

> Would you trust the Witness Protection
> Program with your life?

In this case, yes.  When the program failed in the past it was usually due
to putting formally high rollers into dull middle class new lives.  They
were the ones who ended up outing themselves.  In contrast, giving some poor
wretch and his family $5 million would put them in the lap of luxury.

> Whoever opts to collect that $5,000,000 will forever live in fear.

Cost/benefit, you do the math.  I'd opt for it in a heartbeat.

> No, any tips that directly lead to the apprehension of Bin Laden must be
> done under total anonymity. All the more reason for remailers to remain
> operational.

Anonymity does not require remailers much less untraceable digital cash.
I'm for both of those, but they are overkill for someone who turns in Bin
Laden.

 S a n d y