Carnivore Early Deployment

Harmon Seaver hseaver at ameritech.net
Fri Sep 14 10:26:09 PDT 2001

       In light of the apparent widespread deployment of
carnivore at many, if not most, US ISP's, without, I
presume, any sort of warrants, does anyone know of any
proposals for lawsuits against same by EFF, ACLU, or anyone
else? This would certainly be an abrogation of civil rights
for all of us whose email is being intercepted without even
the remotest probable cause. I would think it ripe for a
class action suit.
        I'm assuming that ameritech knuckled under, although
I've not seen any announcements of it, but last night when
trying to pop mail from their server, I was getting no
connection for quite awhile, then suddenly I got a message
saying the "account is locked by another session or for
maintenance" -- something I've never, ever seen before,
although ameritech certainly has had a lot of problems with
it's mail servers. Then again this morning, for over an
hour, the incoming stuff just stopped. We sent several test
messages from various servers, none of them arrived until
much, much later.
       Not that I'm paranoid, I seriously doubt they'd be
monitoring my mail in particular, but I would also assume
that any installation of something like carnivore would
cause problems with the mail at an already rather fragile
entity like ameritech.
--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix