Crypto-anonymity greases HUMINT intelligence flows

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Fri Sep 14 09:10:45 PDT 2001

I don't know why Tim makes me out to be such a bitch. I'm pro-crypto and
pro-privacy.

Anonymity and encryption can assist with intelligence collection efforts,
and grease new intelligence flows. An OSINT "Intellagora," a WhiteHat
BlackNet, is zero-risk/zero-contact, and might assist in counterterrorism
intelligence collection -- there are arguments it's built for it (Steele).
It's technical, but it is a HUMINT solution. Such a solution could be used
not only for intelligence collection, but also for intervention. Another
prime example is in regard to "cyberterrorism," where companies have shown
great reluctance to share information with the government.

They are complaining about a lack of human intelligence, and the difficulty
of penetration. There are strong arguments that crypto can assist the
government in combating the very threat they complain of, and surmount
obstacles to intelligence collection and analysis. (And, as many here have
stated, legal prohibitions are only effective on law-abiders.)

Like THIS.....this was a natural response. Kudos.

SAN DIEGO, September 12, 2001 - Anyone with information pertaining to
Tuesday's terrorist attacks who wishes to communicate anonymously
with U.S. authorities can use an Anonymous Tip Web Link now located
at the Anonymizer.com home page.
[...]

Awards are authorized, BTW:

Sec. 3071. Information for which rewards authorized

(a) With respect to acts of terrorism primarily within the territorial
jurisdiction of the United States, the Attorney General may reward any
individual who furnishes information -
(1) leading to the arrest or conviction, in any country, of any
individual or individuals for the commission of an act of
terrorism against a United States person or United States
property; or
(2) leading to the arrest or conviction, in any country, of any
individual or individuals for conspiring or attempting to commit
an act of terrorism against a United States person or property;
or
(3) leading to the prevention, frustration, or favorable
resolution of an act of terrorism against a United States person
or property.
(b) With respect to acts of espionage involving or directed at the United
States, the Attorney General may reward any individual who furnishes
information -
(1) leading to the arrest or conviction, in any country, of any
individual or individuals for commission of an act of espionage
against the United States;
(2) leading to the arrest or conviction, in any country, of any
individual or individuals for conspiring or attempting to commit
an act of espionage against the United States; or
(3) leading to the prevention or frustration of an act of
espionage against the United States.

~Aimee

[...]