British cyberpolice ask providers to retain all data after terrorist attacks in the United States

citizenQ citizenQ at ziplip.com
Fri Sep 14 10:02:35 PDT 2001

LONDON (AP) -- British authorities have asked all phone companies and Internet service providers to preserve communications data
  stored Tuesday in case they contain important clues to the identity of the terrorists who attacked Washington and New York.

  The National High-Tech Crime Unit, set up earlier this year to fight crime related to information technology, said data stored Tuesday
  may hold vital evidence about those responsible for the devastating attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

  ``By working swiftly to contact the communications service providers in the U.K., I hope that we will be able to offer valuable assistance
  to U.S. authorities in investigating the appalling events of recent days,'' said Detective Chief Superintendent Len Hynds, head of the
  London-based unit.

  The unprecedented request was made under Britain's Data Protection Act, which normally prohibits companies from keeping such data
  any longer than is needed for billing purposes.

  A spokeswoman for the crime unit said the request was merely precautionary, to ensure that important data recorded on the day of the
  attacks, such as text messages, e-mails and voice messages, were not destroyed.

  ``We are not looking for anything in particular,'' said the spokeswoman, speaking on condition of anonymity. ``Communications are
  routinely destroyed after 48 hours. This safeguarding of communications data is to ensure that any potential data is saved should it be
  required for evidential purposes.''

  Saved information could be accessed only by law enforcement agencies, if specific legal authority were granted, the spokeswoman said.

  The move falls short of steps taken in the United States by the FBI, which is serving search warrants to major Internet service providers
  to obtain information about an e-mail address believed to be connected to Tuesday's terrorist attacks.

  Hynds said the cooperation of the telecommunications and Internet industry in Britain was voluntary.

  ``The decision for industry to assist us is entirely at their discretion and we will not therefore be asking for confirmation of support.''
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/029760.htm
posted under fair use law as educational material.
) 2001 KnightRidder.com