The Winds of War

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Sep 14 09:24:57 PDT 2001

On Friday, September 14, 2001, at 11:17 AM, John Young wrote:

> The NY Times has a brief story today about the arrest of
> five guys in Jersey busted for celebrating the takedown
> of WTC. They are identified as Israelis, and "exportable."

Congresscriminals are already calling for restrictions on public speech
in other countries. A bandwagon of support for banning whispering
(crypto) is building. "Choose your escrowed diary provider!" say the
apologists for fascism.

Here's what I expect will happen in the coming weeks:

* a massive military attack on Afghanistan and possibly "rebel bases" in
many parts of the Mideast

* a series of hastily-passed new laws restricting communications (with
remailers targeted specifically because they by their nature are not in
"compliance" with CALEA)

* on the day the war begins, next week or in the weeks thereafter, a
series of raids on those operating remailers, those who have identified
these repressive measures, and those who have spoken against the
American Jihad or who have publically opined that the WTC bombing
resembles the Reichstag Fire

* these raids will be done in the usual pre-dawn, ninja-clad storm
trooper way: flash-bangs, shoot anything that appears to move, put the
perps _down_!

* many of those arrested in the raids may not actually be prosecuted, as
even pliable courts will find little or no constitutional basis for
prosecution, though some fraction will die while "resisting arrest" (a
few highly-publicized "barricade situations," a la Waco, should help
with the terror campaign)

* those not arrested, shut down, kicked off their ISPs,  or killed will
be driven underground, or, in most cases, will "promise not to do it
again" and will meekly become the Carnivore Administrators for their
systems

* Robb London and Jeff Gordon and their ilk will be promoted to new
positions within the National Unity Government and will be asked to
detail their successful prosecutions of notorious cypherpunk terrrorists

* Congress will hold endless hearings reminiscent of the House
Un-American Activities Committee hearings. Activists and crypto
advocates will receive subpoenas. The media, even the newly-fascist tech
media, will villify them.

* Someday, perhaps in 20 years, wiser heads will realize that shredding
the Constitution in support of some Zionists who pushed Arabs (called
"sand niggers") off of their lands was not a good idea.

War is coming. Against us, against liberty, against the Constitution.

If I stop posting in the coming weeks, you'll know why.

--Tim May