Cypherpunks and terrorism

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Thu Sep 13 15:20:19 PDT 2001

Greg Broiles writes:
> I propose that this sort of discussion - about whether or not, in the face
> of violence and tragedy, some aspect of human freedom and expression can be
> suitably "justified" to satisfy every self-appointed devil's advocate - is
> absolutely unproductive and serves only to suck energy and concentration
> from more interesting projects.

It's astonishing that you should say this.  It is at exactly this time
that soul searching is most appropriate.  Now is when you should ask
yourself:  Am I doing the right thing?  Am I making the world a better
place?

You don't have to convince some devil's advocate.  Just convince yourself.

You're about to begin running a remailer.  Apparently you haven't done
so before.  Well, it should be quite an education.  Keep it up for a
year and you'll be more qualified to judge whether this technology is
good or bad, on balance.  One thing is certain: if you go into it just
because you think it will be an "interesting project", you won't stay
with it for long.