GRAVY on the attack

GRAVY jbradley at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 13 08:11:01 PDT 2001

Fire is what brought the towers down. An engineer friend explained
that after a fire burns for awhile, the steel holding up the
structure softens. When it fails, the part above falls with impact on
the part below, which causes progressive collapse of the building, or
pancaking, as one floor crunches onto the next onto the next. Once
one floor goes there is no stopping it.

The World Trade Center was likely designed to last 1-2 hours in a
major fire, long enough for most people to evacuate. The tower that
fell first lasted 57 minutes, in a fire driven by 100,000 pounds of
jet fuel. No one anticipated that part when the building was
designed, and there is no way to build a building to withstand such
an event. The TV newscasters who keep asking what could have been
done to make the buildings more resistant should go home.

An astonishing thing is the way the towers collapsed straight down.
As horrifying as that was, imagine how much more damage and loss of
life there would have been would have been if they had tipped over
like falling trees, landing on surrounding buildings for a quarter
mile.

A building demolition expert interviewed on NPR said that what made
the disciplined collapse possible was the external skeleton, the
girders that lined the edges of the towers. These girders contained
the collapse. The expert considered this an extraordinary achievement
by the architect.

The World Trade Center was designed by the late Minoru Yamasaki, at
the firm of Skilling, Ward, Magnusson and Barkshire, in Seattle. You
have to think it's good he didn't live to see this. The rest of his
firm is said to be shock, as are the employees of Boeing, whose
engineers are acutely aware of the destructive energy contained in a
767 going three hundred miles an hour and full of fuel.

A few random notes:

This attack seems different from Pearl Harbor in the same way that
the Vietnam War seemed different to fight than previous wars, which
is that the enemy did not stand up and "fight like a man," but rather
was hidden, hard to find, and devious, as well as surprising. The
British felt the same way about the American "irregulars" in the
revolutionary war. They felt we weren't fighting fairly or properly.
In all three cases, one side deliberately ignored the "code of war"
of the time to powerful effect.

In this way the definition of war changes. It just changed again,
whether we like it or not. Whatever we do to retaliate risks an
escalation of terrorist-style attacks on American citizens. We will
not get to watch our distant military on newsreels and TV like the
old days.

One of the things that makes this scary is that we have found a bomb,
and it is everywhere. Every plane is a terrific bomb for a pilot who
is willing to die.

This attack has been called cowardly. That's silly. It was no more
cowardly than flying a stealth fighter loaded with smart bombs into
Iraq, when by the same definition the uncowardly thing would have
been to ride in on a camel with a broadsword.

The plane that crashed in Pennsylvania was headed for Washington but
the plan was foiled by the passengers who had heard what the planes
did in New York. Bravo. Instead of banning knives, perhaps we should
issue one to every passenger on all commercial flights.

This attack was a huge failure of American military intelligence.

This attack points up the value of an unworkable and insanely
expensive missile defense system. For those of you who are sleepy,
that value would be zero.

Bush said that we were attacked because we believe in freedom. This
is not why we were attacked. There is much about the execution of our
foreign policy that rarely makes it into US news reports. If you have
lived abroad for more than a few months, you have seen this. If not,
it is educational to talk to someone who has. At the same time,
nearly all Arabs and other Muslims abhor terrorism. The
Arab-Americans I know are as dismayed and horrified as we are.

Our airport security has always been a joke. My dad's crutches were
consistently handed around the inspection points by the nice people
working there. All I could think was how much explosive or how many
knives and zip guns I could have packed into each crutch, while they
were busy making business travelers go through their briefcases.

It is hard to fight people who believe they will achieve martyrdom
and go to heaven following a suicide attack for their cause. It is an
impossible stretch for us to understand how our enemy thinks when it
is that different from how we think. It is difficult to protect
yourself from someone who does not value his life on this earth.

Of course fight them we shall. No one gets to do what they did. We
need to start by repealing some laws, like the one that says we can't
use intelligence agents to infiltrate groups with human rights
violations (which wizard thought up that one?), and the one that says
we can't assassinate heads of state. We must not try to bring anyone
to trial. We must be as surgical as possible, to minimize the loss of
innocent life that would would be both a new tragedy and a fuel for
escalation. I support Bush's plan to treat harboring states and
helpers as indistinguishable from the terrorists themselves.

Above all, we must not rush. There is no advantage or need to hurry.
We must take our time, learn everything we need to learn, make no
mistake. And then it will be time to execute.

I regret that that will not be the end of it.

jb
--

It ain't so much the things you don't know that get you
in trouble. It's the things you know that just ain't so.

Put another way: You can always spot a well informed man -
his views are the same as yours. -- Ilka Chase

in the SUBJECT LINE. You will be subscribed at the address
you are writing from.
use your contribution we will credit you unless you request
otherwise. If we don't use it, don't be discouraged, keep 'em
coming. PLEASE DO NOT SEND COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL UNNATTRIBUTED.
FORWARDING by any non-automatic electronic means is authorized
and encouraged with this footer intact. Other rights are reserved,
to the extent that we own them. If someone is forwarding GRAVY
to you and you like it, why not subscribe?