Cypherpunks and terrorism

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Wed Sep 12 17:20:09 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh writes:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 06:00:46PM +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> > Some terrorists have exactly this as their goal.  They are hoping
> > to trigger a counter-reaction, an over-reaction, by the authorities.
> > They want to see a crackdown on liberties, a police state.  This will
> > weaken the enemy and demoralize him.  It will increase hostility and
> > make the population less willing to support the government.
>
> This is nonsense. I suspect the bin Laden want the U.S. to stop
> handing Israel billions of dollars a year in aid and weapons. Not
> bombing pharmecutical plants and lifting an embargo that kills
> hundreds of thousands (allegedly) of Iraqi women and children might be
> a nice move too.

It's always amazing to see how stupid the responses are to various
messages.  There seems to be no limit to the ignorance of the cypherpunks.

It is well known that this is a motivation for many terrorists.  If you
will not believe it from an anonymous message, perhaps you will be
convinced by quotes from the two co-founders of the cypherpunks, both