An assault on liberty?

Peter Wayner pcw at flyzone.com
Wed Sep 12 18:56:10 PDT 2001

I realize that many will use this event as an excuse for many
political agendas, but I think it's important that we think through
exactly what happened. It doesn't seem like it was an assault on
liberty or a misuse of the liberties we have. Most people can't fly
planes. The learning process is long and the licensing requirements
are many. Flying a 757 is even more restricted by both cost and
licensing requirements. It's not a liberty like walking around the
streets or speaking one's mind.

It doesn't seem to me that this attack had anything to do with
liberty. It's not like someone abused the right to bear arms by
shooting someone, it's not like someone abused the right to speak
freely by libeling someone, it's not like someone abused the right to
drink alcohol by plowing into a school bus after drinking too much.
These guys were unauthorized to have knives, they were unauthorized
to have bombs, they were unauthorized to fly 757s, they were probably
unauthorized to be in the country. Yet they did all of these despite
the controls.

The hard lesson is that controls don't always work. Licensing
requirements, security checkpoints, and armed guards fail. It's sad,
but there's no physical law like gravity that we can depend upon to
keep ourselves safe.

If you ask me, the biggest danger is that we'll add more ineffective
security measures in the hopes of doing something.  And the real
problem is the controls may never be enough to keep us safe.

-Peter