Cypherpunks and terrorism

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Wed Sep 12 10:58:06 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> wrote :

>On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 06:00:46PM +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> Some terrorists have exactly this as their goal.  They are hoping
>> to trigger a counter-reaction, an over-reaction, by the authorities.
>> They want to see a crackdown on liberties, a police state.  This will
>> weaken the enemy and demoralize him.  It will increase hostility and
>> make the population less willing to support the government.
>
>This is nonsense. I suspect the bin Laden want the U.S. to stop
>handing Israel billions of dollars a year in aid and weapons. Not
>bombing pharmecutical plants and lifting an embargo that kills
>hundreds of thousands (allegedly) of Iraqi women and children might be
>a nice move too.
>
>-Declan

What they want is not what they will get. The US will be more united in
aiding Israel, bombing industrial ( and other ) targets and starting new
embargoes. Not only that, the approval of other nations will be more
easily garnered.

As dramatic as yesterday was, it was a poor move.

Mike

I still feel sad when I remember the videotapes of perfectly good B-52's
being chopped.