Manhattan Mid-Afternoon

Harmon Seaver hseaver at ameritech.net
Wed Sep 12 08:22:36 PDT 2001

"Raymond D. Mereniuk" wrote:

> I don't see where only a terrorist group backed by the resources of
> a national government could pull this off.  A week or two for planning
> and a group of people who can keep their mouth's shut plus the
> most important quality, big gonads and a desire to die for a
> perceived purpose.

      So right -- all these people talking about "it had to be a big, well
funded, well organized group with lots of resources" are talking total nonsense.
It could have been a tiny cadre of eight or twelve people with no more money
than to buy some plane tickets. Flying a plane doesn't take a heck of lot
either, once it's in the air. It's not even that hard taking off -- landing is
the bitch.

> My guess would be that the final analysis will show these terrorists
> were more lucky then skilful.  They were lucky to get past airport
> security, or airport security was that bad

        What would be so hard about getting past security if they used plastic
knives -- those zytel daggers sold all over the place would be pretty damn
effective. I would imagine that they wouldn't have just threatened with them
anyway, they would have just used them and killed the crew quickly. A plastic
knife would be all they needed, and no metal detector would spot that.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
Work 920-203-9633   hseaver at cybershamanix.com