What's going on? World Trade Center, Pentagon, Old Executive Office Bldg

Elyn Wollensky elyn at consect.com
Tue Sep 11 08:21:44 PDT 2001

OK, here's what's going on ...

in NYC: two separate planes collided into each of the WTC towers @8:30 this
morning. Each tower eventually collapsed. Seems very few people made it out
from the top 40 floors of each building. It turned out that the planes where
hijacked ...
in DC: a plane crashed into or next to the Pentagon. a bomb of some sort
went of next to the Old Executive part of the White House, and it now seems
another bomb went off at the State Department.

They have locked down NYC (no in-no out), evacuated the UN and subways are
closed. In DC they are evacuating all Federal buildings (in NY, most where
in the WTC), the pentagon, etc. and they are trying to get people to leave
the Mall.

At present they have also stopped all airline traffic in the US, however
there are anywhere from 5-to-8 planes that are unaccounted for and there is
a standby concerning whether they are looking for targets or simply
mid-flight and need a place to land.

There was just a crash in Pennsylvania and no one knows whether it was
related to the attacks or not.

That's about all I know ...
hope this helps,
elyn

> Bill Stewart wrote:
> >
> > At 10:22 AM 09/11/2001 -0400, Seth Finkelstein wrote:
> > >  "Warren E. Agin"
> > >
> > >         I can attest that boston.com is functioning in Boston. Can't
> > >say if you could reach it from another part of the country.

> > >         There seems to be some major links out of action. I can't
> > >traceroute to cnn.com, for example. I *speculate* it's collateral
> > >damage from the explosions in Manhattan. That is, I sure wouldn't hang
> > >around to keep computer working in this situation.
> >
> > Highly unlikely to be physical damage; it's just slashdotted
> > because everybody with an internet connection tried it first.
> > The San Francisco Chronicle is still working because it's early morning
> > on the West Coast; they're sfgate.com, picture on the front page,
> > and the AP story is at

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2001/09/11/nationa
l0920EDT0530.DTL