Privacy Alert

CJ Parker sonofgomez709 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 16:26:56 PDT 2001

On August 32, 2001, at 25:35 EDT, John Gilmore wrote:
> I just received this alarming news and thought I
would
>pass it along.
>
>            Privacy Alert Foundation
>                  WARNING!
>Several years ago, the PAF warned consumers of the
intrusion on
>personal privacy by Safeway Food Stores, in which
they offered
>customers 'A Nickle Off On A Can Of Beans' for
joining their
>'Safeway Shoppers Club,' which required members to
provide
>Safeway with copious amounts of personal information
about
>the customer's private life, personal income,
employment, and
>personal buying habits.
>Due to our warning, Safeway Food Stores was forced to
begin
>offering customers much larger savings in order to
convince
>them to part with information which could be used to
intrude
>on their privacy and perform consumer manipulation
tactics on
>'Safeway Shoppers Club' members.
>Now, Safeway Food Stores is escalating it's Captive
Consumer
>Program to a frightening level, with its 'Safeway
Super Saver
>Elite Consumer Club,' which offers customers with
incomes
>exceeding $50,000 an extra 25% in savings, in return
for
>providing Safeway with the Personal Access Codes to
their
>credit cards, computers, and a copy of their PGP
Private Keys.
>An investigation by the Privacy Alert Foundation has
determined
>that the 'Safeway Super Saver Elite Consumer Club'
Security
>Director is a newly-hired employee who was recently
released
>from the Federal Correction Institute, in Three
Rivers, Texas.
>The PAF believes this warrents a Severe Consumer
Warning in
>regard to the 'Safeway Super Saver Elite Consumer
Club.'

[Court Ordered Fair Warning Notification]
 In keeping with a Court Order requiring
 me to notify recipients of my personal
 correspondence of any existing factors
 which would tend to implicate them as