Anonymity without Cryptography

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Sun Sep 9 16:05:36 PDT 2001

Some of you probably heard this paper presented live...any thoughts? ~F.

Anonymity without Cryptography (2001)

Dahlia Malkhi and Elan Pavlov

School of Computer Science and Engineering
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel

Abstract: This paper presents an encryption-free anonymizing network that
is efficient to use, and does not require the use of conventional
cryptography by the users of the network. The method, Anonymous Multi Party
Computation (AMPC), uses a variation of Chaum's mixnets that utilizes value-
splitting to hide inputs, and hence requires no "conditionally-secure"
operations of its users. This is achieved under the assumption that there
are secure channels between good participants, and under a suitable
resilience threshold assumption that, in our worst adversarial scenario, is
a square-root of the system. Our new paradigm provides users electronic
privacy without trusting any computer to perform heavy cryptographic
operations on their behalf in various applications, e.g., electronic voting.

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/malkhi01anonymity.html