More (Was Re: Naughty Journal Author Denied Plea Change)

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Sun Sep 9 14:35:17 PDT 2001

http://libpub.dispatch.com/cgi-bin/documentv1?DBLIST=cd01&DOCNUM=38993
&TERMV=257:5:262:6:133266:5:133271:6:

SEX DIARIST HAD GOOD COUNSEL, HIS FORMER LAWYER SAYS

Friday, September 7, 2001
NEWS   01F

By Tim Doulin
Dispatch Staff Reporter 	Illustration: Photo

If Brian Dalton hopes to have his conviction for pandering obscenity
thrown out, his new attorneys will have to prove he received poor
legal counsel.
But the attorney who represented Dalton said that wasn't the case.
"With all the facts that I know, I believe he was effectively
represented,'' said Isabella Dixon, Dalton's original attorney.

As part of a plea agreement, Dalton, 22, pleaded guilty on July 3 to
creating a journal in which he describes in detail the torture and
sexual molestation of children. Dalton said the writings were
fictional and were never distributed to anyone. Still, Franklin
County Common Pleas Judge Nodine Miller convicted him of pandering
obscenity involving a minor and sentenced him to seven years in
prison.

The case shocked lawyers who specialize in First Amendment and obscenity law.

[...]
                                                  ~~~
FreeOhio- Defiant Defenders of Individual Liberty.

http://www.pandar.com/freeohio/

Subscribe to FreeOhio for news and opinion about freedom in the
Buckeye State.  Subscribing is fast, easy and free.  Simply send a
message to freeohio-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

                                                 ~~~