Begging for Enemies of the State

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Sep 8 10:44:19 PDT 2001

    --
On 7 Sep 2001, at 13:40, John Young wrote:
> The competiton between government-run prisons and the
> commercial ops have led to fabulous lobbying and jawboning of
> legislators and wardens to spread the lucrative but diminishing
> prison-care population around,

I think there is little danger that enemies of the state will be
targeted.

What appears to be happening is that in those semi rural counties
that are particularly dependent on the prison business, they bust
anyone who passes through who is from out of town, poor, and of
the incorrect race, and sentence them to seven years or so on
whatever they can find.  Those cops and judges would not touch
political activists with a ten foot pole.  They want peaceful
no-account people who will not make trouble, and will not get
anyone making trouble for them.  Not only will they not touch
political activists, they are often reluctant to touch real
criminals, since real criminals are often unprofitable to
imprison.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     qeAmePYMQs+2fs9grz5Mwvlgsc9pcm/mMQgpTkbM
     4u7EV0HOpoP6V0ezEklb1QSbQBmJb65puwaWBTjnk