Naughty Journal Author Denied Plea Change

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Sep 8 07:21:28 PDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 03:31:11AM -0500, measl at mfn.org wrote:
> As I understand this story, the guy had a diary which contained written
> descriptions of things he would *like* to do, not a photo album of kids
> bent over a table...

Your snotty message notwithstanding (I now regret taking you seriously
in the past, and I'll try not to make that mistake again), my point
was not to defend the law, as I made clear in the portion of my post
you conveniently neglected to include.

(In fact, since 1996 and the "morphed child porn" law in effect, Photoshop-
created fantasies have been illegal to possess, and people have been convicted
under that law, and their convictions (mostly) upheld.)

My point was that this is a natural outgrowth of existing child porn and
obscenity laws, and if you're upset at this, you should naturally be upset
at the entire framework.

-Declan