Official Anonymizing

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Wed Sep 5 13:19:10 PDT 2001

Some poor simple soul behind a remailer wrote:

>Here is an example of the principle put into practice, from the
>anonymous web proxy service at http://proxy.magusnet.com/proxy.html:

: If you are accessing this proxy from a *.mil or *.gov address
: it will not work. As a taxpaying United States Citizen[TM],
: Business Owner, and Desert Storm Veteran, I do not want my
: tax dollars being used by agencies I pay for to gawk(1)
: at WWW pages and hide your origination point at my expense.
: Now, get back to work!

Patronizing claptrap, you wouldn't be blocking a thing. For example, the
Google Archives has dozens of listings of a NSA researcher who openly
participates in technical conferences, giving his full Ft. Meade address,
office phone number--and AOL e-mail address. Before you dismiss this as
just something another dumb fed might do, you might find it relevant that
he's done a lot of work in IDS, GII security, reliable distributed systems,
and deception. Who would ever expect anything interesting from an AOL user?
That's precisely the point.

That ought to be enough keywords: go dig for it yourself, and if you're
really lucky, you'll find PDFs of his papers and start learning a little
bit about why you haven't quite got the feds as outsmarted as you think you
do.

~Faustine.