Official Anonymizing

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 5 13:55:00 PDT 2001

Let me jump in to say that I'm not advocating no access
to anonymizers by officials only that that access be disclosed.
It shouldn't be an embarrassment to reveal that federal agencies
have bought such products.

Disclosure as well of any features of the products sold to
officials that are different from the standard product would
be a big help in defending ourselves.

Parity is all I'm asking for to combat the current disparity in
features, as shit-marketers brag of their invasive products,
"available only to law enforcement, letterhead needed."

A pipe dream, maybe, but smart marketers have been known
to respond to those as well as threats and sweetheart
contracts.

You ever see a DoD order for 40,000 copies of a program?
That board of directors/Wall Street ecstacy is resistable
only by cascading orders from the mass market. Here, I'm
sympathetic to ZKS on how hard it is to compete with those
who bear-hug government contracting officers as commanded
by bankrollers everready to yank the plug.

Nice story in the New York Times today about this, the second
part of a three-parter on privacy issues of the Internet. To
go with congressional hearings on it.