Moral Crypto

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Wed Sep 5 00:50:38 PDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Eric Murray wrote:

> Another way to kill remailers would be through anti-spam legislation
> that forbids "forging" email headers.  We're already seeing some of
> this.

Declan brought this up in a "sky-is-falling" article about remailers and
anti-spam legislation. I do not believe this is a valid threat.

Mail from "juicy at melontraffickers.com" does come from the
melontraffickers.com server. It is not forged.

(Such legistion would protect against unfortunate instances like the
flowers.com case.)

This *would* require some remailers, like frog2, to stop allowing "From:"
line specification. But that's hardly a big issue.

> My guess is that the first or second is most likely.  It won't even be
> targeted at remailers, just at regular email.
>
> Killing remailers will be a by-product of regulating the net.

Unless the next Tim McVeigh ever uses a remailer in his life.

Mark my words: The next major act of domestic terrorism will somehow
involve either crypto or remailers, *according to the government
investigators' reports.*

Insert appropriate fnords where necessary.