Official Anonymizing

A. Melon juicy at melontraffickers.com
Wed Sep 5 09:40:58 PDT 2001

John Young takes a courageous stand:

> I propose that all anonymizers adopt a code of practice that
> any sale to officials of anonymizers or their use be disclosed
> to the public (I suggested this to ZKS early on when first
> meetings with the feds to explain the technology were being
> sometimes disclosed). That seems to be a reasonable response
> to officially-secret prowling and investigating cyberspace.

Absolutely appropriate, given cypherpunk goals.  It may be difficult
to apply in every case but the intention is laudable.

Here is an example of the principle put into practice, from the
anonymous web proxy service at http://proxy.magusnet.com/proxy.html:

: If you are accessing this proxy from a *.mil or *.gov address
: it will not work. As a taxpaying United States Citizen[TM],
: Business Owner, and Desert Storm Veteran, I do not want my
: tax dollars being used by agencies I pay for to gawk(1)
: at WWW pages and hide your origination point at my expense.
: Now, get back to work!