Moral Crypto

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Wed Sep 5 00:30:11 PDT 2001

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, David Honig wrote:
> At 12:34 PM 9/2/01 -0700, Tim May wrote:
> >Someone else:
> >> The fact that you may be
> >> identifiable at the point of entry to an anonymity system is
> >> a weakness, not a desired feature, and if it can be avoided, it
> >> should be.
> >>

> >Then design such a system.
>

> You did a few lines earlier:
>
> >(Or if one is a remailer oneself.)

Or, simply have a remailer client that randomly generates dummy traffic,
and be sure to chain through multiple remailers. You don't need to accept
incoming remailer traffic from other live people -- this is sufficient to
hide when, if ever, you are using the remailer network.

You still stick out as a remailer user, though.

(A while ago, someone posted a physics question usnig a remailer, and Tim
mused that they were probably a troll, since they were using a remailer to
pose this question. I found that remark surprising, for precisely this
reason. Everyone should use remailers from time to time to ask innocent
questions, in case of being asked by The Authorities to provide an example
of one's correspondence using such technology.)