Official Anonymizing

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Sep 4 16:53:12 PDT 2001

Let me try to restate John's proposal, which has some very attractive
qualities. There are a few questions, it seems to me:

1. Should we require by law that government employees never act under cover
of anonymity? (In practice, what does that mean? Does that mean they can't
lie about their truename, or does it mean that they have to affirmatively
volunteer their employment status?)

2. Since the people enforcing this hypothetical law are the same people
with the greatest incentives to violate it, what makes a disinterested
observer believe that it will be effective? If we're not interested in
effectiveness, why don't we just pass a law saying "no more police
brutality" or "no cop shall violate someone's civil liberties?"

3. Since the people regulated by this hypothetical law who would object to
it have innumerable allies in the legislatures of this fair nation, what
makes a disinterested observer believe that this proposal could ever be
anything more than a thought experiment?

4. Should privacy-providing companies pledge to disclose the identities of
their .gov purchasers? Do we think that .govs will follow this rule, or use
cutouts? Will it be effective when the tools can be freely downloaded or
bought at CompUSA?

Me, I tend to think that federal agents shouldn't be infiltrating U.S.
political parties, that the extent of undercover police work could be
profitably scaled back quite a bit, that the IRS has few if any reasons to
send its agents undercover, and that intelligence agencies have no business
running operations domestically. Contrary to what John says, I'm happy to
look critically at "homeland defense plans" -- what I've said is simply
that this HD campaign has not yet eroded our civil libertes to the point
where we have none. Be concerned, but not terrified.

I think John has a valid point when he says that we should look askance at
anonymity firms that help government spy on us. Companies would be
well-advised to make their practices (we sell to Feds, we refuse to sell to
Feds) public. But the market being what it is, the tools so well-discussed
in so many circles, and the switch from .mil or .gov to .org or .com so
easy, that I suspect such promises might give us only a false sense of
security.

-Declan