Moral Crypto

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Sep 4 16:33:27 PDT 2001

At 12:28 PM 9/4/01 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>Either one runs seriously afoul of the First Amendment.
>
>Remailers are publishers. Publishers cannot be "licensed," nor can they
>simply be closed down.

Let me play Devil's Advocate a bit and try to challenge this conventional
cypherpunk wisdom.

Unlike remailers, publishers exercise editorial discretion over what they
print or distribute or broadcast. They do this by considering the content
of the communication and judge, among other things, whether it is timely,
newsworthy, informative, accurate, complete, relevant, interesting -- in
other words, whether the content will succeed in the marketplace or not.

A remailer does none of those things. Instead of a person judging articles,
books, or multimedia clips as worthy of being published, a remailer simply
forwards. To that end, it is far more like a mechanical device: a conveyor
belt that moves an item from one place to another, perhaps taking off a
layer of packaging along the way.

Another analogy (though polluted because of the U.S. Mail regs) might be
like a Mailboxes Etc.-type service that opens an envelope and forwards the
extracted contents to you at another address. Even if that service *only*
used FedEx and UPS (to avoid at least in part the postal regs), what court
would strike down regulations enacted by legislatures or Congress? Seems to
me the Supreme Court (wrongly) would say the First Amendment interests are
limited, and it's a just exercise of the Commerce Clause.

Much would depend on the details, I'd imagine, of such a hypothetical law.
Is it a flat ban, or (at first) brief identity-escrow periods?

Obviously I'm not trying to argue that Congress *should* enact such a law
-- I think they should stay the hell away from this area -- but what if
they do? How about if they try, as someone else suggested, to compel ISPs
or network providers to be the _de facto_ cops?

I'm not trying to scare off cypherpunk-types from coding or discussing
these things. If anything, I'd argue that the next few years are the time
to deploy mixes more widely, and weave them into popular products, so
restrictions would meet with not just theoretical privacy-themed
opposition, but lots of peeved users as well. I'm also not saying, to
repeat my last message, that OECD or G8-wide legal restrictions would put
remailers out of business, but I suspect such rules would make it much less
likely they'd be mainstream.

-Declan