Melon traffickers --> Soul traffickers

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Sep 4 17:17:34 PDT 2001

On Tuesday, September 4, 2001, at 04:33 PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> At 12:28 PM 9/4/01 -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> Either one runs seriously afoul of the First Amendment.
>>
>> Remailers are publishers. Publishers cannot be "licensed," nor can they
>> simply be closed down.
>
> Let me play Devil's Advocate a bit and try to challenge this
> conventional cypherpunk wisdom.
>
> Unlike remailers, publishers exercise editorial discretion over what
> they print or distribute or broadcast. They do this by considering the
> content of the communication and judge, among other things, whether it
> is timely, newsworthy, informative, accurate, complete, relevant,
> interesting -- in other words, whether the content will succeed in the
> marketplace or not.
>
> A remailer does none of those things. Instead of a person judging
> articles, books, or multimedia clips as worthy of being published, a
> remailer simply forwards. To that end, it is far more like a mechanical
> device: a conveyor belt that moves an item from one place to another,
> perhaps taking off a layer of packaging along the way.

And let me play Devil's Advocate to this DA position:

Not to sound overly Choatian, but there is nothing in the First
Amendment which says anything about government getting to decide when
"enough" editorial processing has occurred so that First Amendment
protections kick in.

A publisher who published a publication consisting of _all submissions_
would still be protected, even if he exercised _zero_ editorial
discretion. In fact, such things exist: they are called "vanity
presses." They publish for a fee, no differently than a paid remailer
publishes for a fee.

Is a vanity press not protected by the First Amendment? There is no
requirement in the First that a press prove that it altered or selected
some threshold percentage of bits before First Amendment protections
exist. In fact, the Bill of Rights is not about rights granted by
government at all, it's about limits on what government may do.

And, as I will cover below, any kind of "know your customer" rules run
into other problems.

(By they way, publishers of anonymous letters are not required to "know
their customers." Ditto for collectors of anonymous suggestions, radio
talk show hosts accepting calls from anonymous dialers, etc. These
publishers and radio talk show hosts do _not_ have to "justify" their
failure to collect taceability information, nor do they have to meet any
threshold test for how much editorial control they exercised. The First
simply does not give government the authority to restrict a publisher
this way.)

> Obviously I'm not trying to argue that Congress *should* enact such a
> law -- I think they should stay the hell away from this area -- but
> what if they do? How about if they try, as someone else suggested, to
> compel ISPs or network providers to be the _de facto_ cops?
>
> I'm not trying to scare off cypherpunk-types from coding or discussing
> these things. If anything, I'd argue that the next few years are the
> time to deploy mixes more widely, and weave them into popular products,
> so restrictions would meet with not just theoretical privacy-themed
> opposition, but lots of peeved users as well. I'm also not saying, to
> repeat my last message, that OECD or G8-wide legal restrictions would
> put remailers out of business, but I suspect such rules would make it
> much less likely they'd be mainstream.

Something I wrote about a very long time ago, before Cypherpunks even,
was the "trick" (Happy Fun Court will not be amused) of using a
"religious confessional" as a cover for remailers. Or of using an
"anonymous tip line" as a cover. (This was discussed much in the first
few years of remailer operation.)

If the government demands that remailer shut down, or somehow obtain
meatspace identities, confessionals and anonymous pschiatric/sex
hotlines will presumably also be shut down.

This was the motivation for much of the Kremvax early remailing service,
which Julf later took over the code for. Sexual abuse, incest, rape,
shame, etc., drove these early systems.

It may be time to dust off these services as "covers." Anyone now
running a remailer could consider explicity announcing their religious
or psychiatric motivations.

Melon traffickers --> Soul traffickers.

Happy Fun Court will not be amused that such "tricks" are being used to
head off an outlawing of anonymity tools. Fuck 'em.

--Tim May