Official Anonymizing

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Tue Sep 4 11:33:21 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 01:42:28PM -0700, John Young wrote:
| I propose that all anonymizers adopt a code of practice that
| any sale to officials of anonymizers or their use be disclosed
| to the public (I suggested this to ZKS early on when first
| meetings with the feds to explain the technology were being
| sometimes disclosed). That seems to be a reasonable response
| to officially-secret prowling and investigating cyberspace.

Speaking for myself, I don't really want to know my customers any more
than I absolutely must.  If y'all are so willing to identify and treat
differently one class of customers  (spooks), I believe that you have
no moral leg to stand on when a different class of customers (say,
hispanics) are treated differently.

If there's no morality bit in encryption, then there's no morality
bit, and the fifth horsey of government can be as anonymous as the
rest of us.

Adam

					               -Hume