Gnutella remailers

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Sep 4 11:31:13 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:28:59AM -0700, Eric Murray wrote:
> One could instead bounce the traffic through the same mail servers
> that spammers use.  Judging from the spam I get, most of those
> are poorly-admined sites thast don't know that they're being
> used to forward spam.

True, that's a possibility. But as anti-spam technology improves and
social pressure increases (maybe not tomorrow, but certainly over the
next few years), those sites will be far less useful than they are
today. Open relay owners will close 'em up and RBLish block lists
(perhaps more carefully targeted) will become more useful.

I'd say that relying on open relays as a long-term solution to act as
the exit point from a remailer chain is a poor strategy.

-Declan