Moral Crypto

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Sep 4 11:17:52 PDT 2001

At 10:21 AM 9/4/01 -0700, Eric Murray wrote:
>I don't think that there is enough remailer traffic or remailers
>to require the feds to go throught the work of getting a law passed
>and setting up a licensing program.  It's be nice if there was!

Certainly not now, which is why I said I was talking about five years or so
in the future. Going through the "work" can be something as simple as an
attachment to a spending bill; unless it's controversial, it's truly not
that difficult to do.

Your point about ISPs as the targets for a "code of conduct" is a
reasonable one, but the same analysis applies. Offshore ISPs will continue,
at least at first, to host remailers, then perhaps be pressured into
abandoning that plan if governments in other jurisdictions get sufficiently
mobilized.

Another point of attack, although more far-fetched, is restricting the
sites to which network providers can carry traffic. A restriction like
"knowingly providing connectiviting to a service that provides anonymous
re-mailing capabilities." Then the helpful Feds will provide daily lists of
offshore remailers.

-Declan