Moral Crypto

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sat Sep 1 16:04:48 PDT 2001

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Tim May wrote:

> What can I say? You clearly don't understand:
>
> -- how remailer _networks_ work (Hint: nested encryption...all the first
> remailer sees when he opens a message is an encrypted message he can't
> read and instructions on which remailer to send it to next, and so on.
> Only if most/all remailers collaborate can the route be followed by
> them.)

You can't make, or assume this as a universal. It may be that by using
crypto on the first leg it sets flags off for Mallet. The data may have to
be sent out in stego or some other format. The utility of inter-anon
remialer crypto using a seperate layer does provide major utility with
respect to stopping further identity leaks as well as breaking simple
traffic analysis. However, if the remailers require any sort of
'instructions' then these must be in the clear, or at least use a key set
different than the user/remailer. These leak information in that initial
connection.

If they have universal access to the network then some level of analysis
can be executed without collaboration from any of the remailers.

            natsugusa ya...tsuwamonodomo ga...yume no ato
            summer grass...those mighty warriors'...dream-tracks

                                            Matsuo Basho

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com