The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Sep 1 09:53:38 PDT 2001

At 10:03 AM 08/30/2001 -0700, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
>Concerning your example of the IRA -- I recollect that for a long
>time the US government allowed IRA fundraising, and use of the US
>banking system for transfers to the IRA.

It wasn't that the US government _allowed_ IRA fundraising,
except in that the First Amendment protects such things.
For a long time, the US Government hadn't banned it,
though a couple of years ago Congress passed a law allowing the
President to declare specific organizations to be Offical Terrorists
and ban fundraising activities by or for them.
I don't remember if the IRA is on the enemies list, but Hizbollah.org is.