Neverending Cycle ( was : Re: USPS: glowing by leaps and bounds )

Mark Henderson mch at informationanarchy.org
Sun Oct 28 11:08:48 PST 2001

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 08:58:30AM -0800, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
> It is unimportant. What matters is what those one kill are doing.
> British soldiers were repressing colonials. The guys in the trade
> towers were not doing anything to Muslims.

So what about all the civilians in Afghanistan who are being
killed by American and British bombs.

They aren't being killed because they are soldiers, or because
they support the Taliban, or because they hate the U.S.A.

They are killed simply because the U.S. and a few other countries are
attacking and they happened to be sitting in their homes, caring for
their children, eating, sleeping, etc.

So are most of the Afghan civilians who are being killed doing
anything to the U.S., U.K., Canada, etc.? I think not.

The devil in this is the old cliche, "the end justifies the means".
This kind of thinking allows people to destroy the WTC, kill
thousands of innocents in the U.S.A. and Afghanistan, allows the
police in so called "civilized" first world countries to imprison,
and torture people who have been charged with no crime (let alone
convicted), and allows lawmakers to pass draconian legislation that
will lead to more abuses of civil rights. It is a very simple trick
of the mind with devestating consequences - once you allow yourself
to forget that a particular person or group of people are actual
human beings, who live, experience joy, and suffer just as we all do,
any sort of brutality in support of a cause (revenge, justice,
freedom, etc.) becomes relatively easy to inflict.

I'll end this with a pointer to a well written insightful article
about "the war"  - http://www.zmag.org/roywarpeace.htm

---
Mark Henderson, mch at squirrel.com, mch at informationanarchy.org
 "Heilir æsir. Heilar ásynjur. Heil sjá in fjölnýta fold." - Sigrdrífumál
OpenPGP/GnuPG keys available at http://www.squirrel.com/pgpkeys.asc