Hunger in Amerikka (was: Market Competition for Security Measures)

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 28 11:05:04 PST 2001

On 28 Oct 2001, at 8:58, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

> The stretches these guys have concocted to find evidence of
> hunger in the US is itself evidence that what they seek is
> not to be found.  If there were actual hungry people, we
> would not looking for evidence of their existence in ways
> more suited to bigfoot and flying saucer aliens.
>
>     --digsig
>          James A. Donald
>      6YeGpsZR+nOTh/cGwvITnSR3TdzclVpR0+pr3YYQdkG
>      LGZpahnul7wBF6yG+R4aHi5jGJcHHhIeMyHePlWX
>      4gOQMnZ1ipgqBA2GHVw3bkHvAoq7xeFEjny19bXxB

Certainly individuals are pretty hungry at least some of the time.
I remember a while back a way home there was an old lady
bum saying "please help me get something to eat, I'm hungry".
Experience told me that she would be there again the next day
saying the same thing.  But what made this day special was,  I
overheard another lady remark to her friend, "I'm hungry too,
because I worked through my lunch hour".  Then again,
she did look like she could afford to skip a few meals.
	What there isn't in the US is starvation.  This country has
its faults, but as far as providing food goes, there are an amazing
number of morbidly obese "poor" people.

George