FBI moves to route internet through central servers: Another dagger in the Heart of Freedom in America

Roy M. Silvernail roy at scytale.com
Sat Oct 27 18:03:02 PDT 2001

On 27 Oct 2001, at 13:24, Mark Henderson wrote:

> uucp still lives in pretty much every UNIX and UNIX-like operating
> system and it moves email well.
>
> It would be a simple matter to get uucp going for a mail link with
> some sort of over the wire encryption. It has been about ten years
> since I've dealt with this, but as I recall each email message went
> via a uux of rmail (uux was remote command execution - sort of like
> rsh over a modem). There is no particular reason why one couldn't
> encrypt before sending and decrypt upon receipt. Mostly just a
> modification to sendmail.cf and a modification to rmail. Of course
> this really just solves the problem for a single hop uucp link.

Believe it or not, I still have one mail route that travels over UUCP
for the last link.  For the past 4 or 5 years, I've done UUCP over
TCP/IP.  I'd think that one could tunnel that through SSL, though
I've never tried to do it.

> I wonder if my old Telebit modem still works. It is in a box
> somewhere...

Heh... 19,200 was blazingly fast in those days, and the Telebit was
set up for UUCP spoofing (the local modem faked the ACK packets
to save turnaround time) to get better throughput.  Still, I think a
56K modem could outpull a Telebit.
           Roy M. Silvernail     [ ]     roy at scytale.com
DNRC Minister Plenipotentiary of All Things Confusing, Software Division
    PGP Key 0x1AF39331 :  71D5 2EA2 4C27 D569  D96B BD40 D926 C05E
                 Key available from pubkey at scytale.com
            I charge to process unsolicited commercial email