web.archive.org Internet archive to open ---google + archeology

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Fri Oct 26 20:37:02 PDT 2001

It's not as outrageous as you'd think.  100GB drives are around $200,
which means that a terabyte will cost you about $3K if you throw in a PC
and some networking gear to connect it, so you could replicate that
in your basement next to your DES-cracker for about the same price -
the more expensive problem is getting the fiber optic connection
from the Presidio to your basement to keep it updated.

More to the point, recent news articles say the Feds have been
getting Google to delete things for them.
         http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/current/msg00505.html
Anybody know what's been deleted, and whether it's still in Wayback,
and whether we can get copies out into the public before anyone pressures
Brewster Kahle?