[Fwd: [biofuel] VW presents new synthetic fuel strategy]

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Fri Oct 26 12:54:27 PDT 2001

Ken Brown wrote:

> The reason we use mineral oils from the ground is that they are
> *cheaper*.

     Not true.

> If the price of a barrel of crude oil rises above somewhere between 30
> and 60 dollars (depending on who you believe), then coal and  oilshale
> become cheaper & we can switch to that. If the price of mineral fuels
> rises above somewhere between 50 and 100 dollars per equivalent of a
> barrel of oil, then using liquid fuel derived from agriculture becomes
> cheaper.

       Biodiesel is being sold in the US as we speak for anywhere from $.99
to $2.50 a gallon, depending upon whether it's made from waste or virgin
vegetable oil. Given the economies of scale working here, once they build
up a larger presence, those prices will drop. And, if I'm not mistaken,
much of Europe is already mandating that all diesel be sold with at least
20% biodiesel.
        You might also look at Brazil which fuels a large portion of it's
vehicles with ethanol already.
          VW's new fuel will be even cheaper.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS