James Glassman wants national IDs: "We have to give up" privacy

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Fri Oct 26 10:48:01 PDT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [You can see James Glassman's bio here:
> http://www.techcentralstation.com/Bios.asp?FormMode=Bio&ID=6 His column is
> not merely poorly-reasoned, but poorly researched as well: He makes some
> factual errors, such as saying the lack of a national ID card makes the
> U.S. "almost unique."  Try Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, the
> Nordic countries, Sweden, Mexico, and so on. --Declan]

And most significantly - the UK.  In spite of recent rumors....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politics/newsid_1572000/1572026.stm

DCF
----

"Afridis have curious ideas as to the laws of hospitality; it is no
uncommon thing for them to murder their guests in cold blood, but it is
contrary to their code of honor to surrender a fugitive who has claimed
asylum with them." -- .ROBERTS, (Field-Marshal, Lord, of Kandahar).
FORTY-ONE YEARS IN INDIA from Subaltern to Commander-in-Chief... London:
Bentley, 1897.  Vol I Pg 32.  [The author was the last foreign general to
defeat the Afghanis.]