Senate approves USA Act, sends to Bush, Ashcroft vows "new era"

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 25 22:14:52 PDT 2001

on Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:31:42PM -0400, Declan McCullagh (declan at well.com)
wrote:

> >Attorney General John Ashcroft
> >Prepared Remarks for the US Mayors Conference
> >October 25, 2001

<...>

> >         Within days of the September 11 attacks, we launched this
> > anti_terrorism offensive to prevent new attacks on our
> > homeland.  To date, our anti_terrorism offensive has arrested or
> > detained nearly 1,000 individuals as part of the September 11
> > terrorism investigation.  Those who violated the law remain in
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > custody.  Taking suspected terrorists in violation of the law off
    ^^^^^^^^
> > the streets and keeping them locked up is our clear strategy to
> > prevent terrorism within our borders.

Conviction without trial?

The following sentence also parses ambiguously.  Is that "taking
suspected terrorists, who are in violation of the law, off the
streets...", or "taking, in violation of the law, suspected terrorists
off the streets..."?

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]