Senate approves USA Act, sends to Bush, Ashcroft vows "newera"

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Thu Oct 25 19:48:44 PDT 2001

measl at mfn.org wrote :

>This has got to be the single scariest thing I have *ever* read from any
>government "official".  After reading this, I doubt that the "nuclear
>winter" comments that have been bandied about are going to be very far off
>their mark...
>
>It especially terrifying to note that this "speech" specifically targets
>"sympathizers" as well as actual terrorists.

Even more disturbing are phrases like -

 "Investigators focused on function, not form - they
  focused on doing what was necessary to get the job
  done rather than what was dictated by the organizational
  chart."
  { like judges }

 "The first principle is airtight surveillance of terrorists."
  { obviously since we can't a priori know who is a terrorist
    and who is not we have to watch everyone. }

 "Communications regarding terrorist offenses such as the use
  of biological or chemical agents, financing acts of terrorism
  or materially supporting terrorism will be subject to
  interception by law enforcement."
  { sound like domestic echelon/keywords? is simple discussion
    or browsing enough to grab the attention of the
    all-seeing eye? }

 "As soon as possible, law enforcement will begin to employ
  new tools that ease administrative burdens and delays in
  apprehending terrorists."
  { we all know what the main burden is }

>J.A. Terranson
>sysadmin at mfn.org

I think an off-site backup of personal or "interesting" material is a
good idea.

Mike