House chairman doesn't want "parochial" issues to stop wiretap bill

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Oct 25 06:33:04 PDT 2001

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 11:06:41PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> So, who're the Senate holdouts?  90+ votes means a filibuster's
> impossible under cloture rules, no?

Yes, a filibuster won't stand much chance, but bringing the bill to
the floor on unanimous consent won't work either. The Senate is still
somewhat gentlemanly (when reducing our legal rights), and they try to
find ways to avoid forcing a vote when there are holds on a bill. I
recall the holds can no longer be secret, though, so I should be able
to find out.

-Declan