Clarence Parker enjoyed the perks of his prison guard job

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Oct 24 21:54:04 PDT 2001

FORMER INS GUARD AT FEDERAL DETENTION FACILITY
PLEADS GUILTY TO SEXUAL ACT WITH FEMALE DETAINEE MIAMI, FL. --
The Public Integrity Section of the Justice Department announced today that
Clarence Parker, a former guard at the Krome Service Processing Center
(Krome) in Miami, Florida, pled guilty today to knowingly engaging in, and
attempting to engage in a sexual act with a female detainee at Krome in
October 2000.  "As soon as we learned of the possible actions of this
individual, we immediately removed him from Krome," said INS Acting
District Director John M. Bulger. "The investigation went forward with our
full support.  Our commitment to removing and prosecuting anyone who
commits these types of acts is stronger than ever." For the past three
years, Parker was a contract employee with the Immigration and
Naturalization Service at Krome.  Parker was assigned to the attorney
visiting area where he monitored the detainees who were waiting to visit
with their attorneys.  As a result of the investigation, Parker was
suspended in June 2001. Parker's plea was accepted by the Honorable
Federico A. Moreno, United States District Judge for the Southern District
of Florida.  His sentencing for the conviction is scheduled for
December 20, 2001.  This matter is being handled by Trial Attorney Scott
Dahl of the Public Integrity Section.  The investigation is being conducted
by Department's Office of Inspector General in Ft. Lauderdale and by the
Federal Bureau of Investigation's Miami Office.  ### 01-551