House chairman doesn't want "parochial" issues to stop wiretap bill

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Oct 24 21:44:48 PDT 2001

Parochial issues like privacy, maybe?

-Declan

---

News Advisory
For immediate
release                                                           Contact:
Jeff Lungren
October 24,
2001
202-225-2492
House Passes Anti-terrorism Legislation
Sensenbenner Urges Senate Action Today
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The House today passed anti-terrorism legislation by a
357-66 margin.  H.R. 3162, introduced by House Judiciary Committee Chairman
F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (R-Wis.), is expected to be considered by the
Senate today or tomorrow and then sent to President Bush for his signature.
"Today, the House came together in a bipartisan manner to pass landmark
anti-terrorism legislation which provides federal law enforcement and
intelligence agencies the tools they need to combat the scourges of
international and domestic terrorism.  Our country remains vulnerable to
terrorism and our President needs this bill to fight the clear and present
danger posed by Al Queda and other terrorist organizations," said Chairman
Sensenbrenner.
"I have heard that certain Senators have placed holds on this
anti-terrorism bill to press their own parochial issues.  This is the time
to dispense with business as usual.  It is time for leadership; I urge the
Senate to pass this legislation today."