First, brand all the children

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Wed Oct 24 21:23:06 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> When you have 99-1 votes in the Senate
> (http://www.politechbot.com/p-02651.html), can anyone seriously say
> that either the Democrats or Republicans can be trusted to preserve
> our privacy and follow the demands of the Constitution?

No. Nor have the mass of national politicians been trustworthy since FDR
or before.

It might be good that Congress is likely to pass a Draconian
anti-terrorism law. The nibbling away at civil rights has gone generally
without effective opposition. About the only hope for the retention of
our rights is a massive chunk bitten off at once, while there are still
enough armed Americans to put politicians in fear of their lives. I'm
not actually hoping for an armed uprising, but the fear of one is
clearly the only thing which will bring Congress, the federal courts,
and the President to heel.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel
  617-670-3793

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly
while bad people will find a way around the laws." -- Plato