First, brand all the children

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Oct 24 21:12:13 PDT 2001

K-S has the right of it. The only drama left before the Senate votes
on the "anti-terrorism" wiretap bill Thursday is whether the final vote
on this ever-growing, 400KB bill will be 99-1 (Feingold) or 100-1.

Two weeks ago, the House approved (http://www.politechbot.com/p-02654.html)
the bill by a 339 by 79 vote with a five-year expiration date.

Then the Senate decided to get persnickety and demanded that all these
anti-financial privacy "money laundering" sections must be added, and
insisted that the expiration date be shortened, and so on.

The doughty defenders of liberty in the House reponded by approving the
rewritten, expanded bill today by -- a 357 to 66 vote.
(http://clerkweb.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.exe?year=2001&rollnumber=398)

So making the bill more Draconian, onerous, and nasty convinced
precisely 13 *more* 'critters to vote for the revised version. Right.

With the exception of folks like Ron Paul (who, I'm pleased to say,
voted nay), there seems to be little hope left for our legislative
system.  When you have 99-1 votes in the Senate
(http://www.politechbot.com/p-02651.html), can anyone seriously say
that either the Democrats or Republicans can be trusted to preserve
our privacy and follow the demands of the Constitution?

-Declan