FINALLY! we can buy Staria

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Oct 24 19:50:34 PDT 2001

>> > I don't understand why one would pay $1000 for a Starium device when
>> > comparable devices are available in the market place for less than half

According to some news I encountered, Microsoft's latest 'consumer'
OS fnord "XP" includes an audio/visual live 'chat' app.

Ignoring for the moment its closed nature, and the fact that you
can't be secure if your OS isn't, it would be a fantastic
project to add crypto to that app, *merely* on the basis of its
widespread Joe Sixpack deployment.  I have not calculated the
MIPS requirements, but since the chat app runs (supposedly acceptably)
at 56Kbaud one imagines there might be cycles to spare.  Or that
some users will endure the framerate drop if not.

dh