Why use Wurd?

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Wed Oct 24 08:30:40 PDT 2001

"Riad S. Wahby" wrote:

> Strange that you would go to all the trouble.  I'll take emacs and
> LaTeX2e any day of the week.  Who needs WYSIWYG when you can make
> nicer-looking documents in less time using a Turing-complete document
> formatting / programming language?

Compatability with Wurd users. A lot of customers, especially suit
types, give you Word and Excel files (or, worse, PowerPoint, gag), even
when the app is being implemented on *NIX. A fair number of commercial
publications want articles and stories to be submitted as Word docs. And
sometimes when you're putting in a bid to a corp, they require the
proposal both as hardcopy and as Word and Excel files.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel
  617-670-3793

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly
while bad people will find a way around the laws." -- Plato