FBI considers torture as suspects stay silent

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Wed Oct 24 09:59:33 PDT 2001

"Jon Beets" <Jon.Beets at pacer.com> wrote :

>The military's rules of engagement are very explicit... Anyone giving an
>order to break those rules are themselves committing a crime.. The integrity
>to stand up and say its wrong is what has been taught in the military over
>the past few years as "Moral Courage"... I am not saying the rules don't get
>broken but if even one person speaks up about what happened then your
>looking at a very long time of making big rock into little rocks.....

Most likely any high-value prisoners would be transferred to
non-military actors and whisked away. The sole obligation of the
military would be to keep quiet.

> At the same time would we risk torturing prisoners
> when we have preached for years for other countries
> to stop this exact same thing...

Absolutely YES, if the stakes are high enough. The potential for these
guys having acquired or manufactured exotic weapons and their apparent
willingness to use them makes it a high-stakes game.

>My bets are on the Al Qaeda personnel who want to tell all.. The ones who
>are so proud of what they have done they will let you know whatever you
>want...

They generally seem to do a good job at staying mum in the US courts.

>Jon Beets

Mike