Market Competition for Security Measures

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 24 09:56:26 PDT 2001

This debate is one of my favorites: security and the role of market
forces. I regret not having the time/energy to tighten and polish this
essay below. Some paragraphs are almost note-like. If you can handle
John Young, you can handle this.

On Wednesday, October 24, 2001, at 04:23 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

> mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:
>> Our society has, for all practical purposes, endless vulnerabilities.
>> If
>> as each vulnerability is exploited we plan on taking drastic steps to
>> secure it from future exploitation, the costs will be staggering and
>> the
>> list of unsecured items will hardly diminish. The result of the current
>> approach is an authoritarian society with a neverending,
>> self-justifying
>> security project ahead of it. Sounds like a wonderful place to live if
>> you're an insect.
>
> So we get either the Caves of Steel   or the Naked Sun?
>
> I'd go for the former, being a city boy, but I guess T. May, H. Seaver &
> D. Honig  might prefer the hyper-exurbia of the latter.  One step from
> the Machine Stops - set not in the ultimate city but in the ultimate
> suburb.

A debate near and dear to my heart. City vs. suburb, armor vs.
dispersion. Closely related to issues discussed often in the
"survivalist" invisible college, during war scares, Y2K, and the current
situation. Some of us have taken responsibility for our own security by
living in less-likely, more defensible targets. Others live in crowded
areas, but have private security arrangements. Gate burb-claves, high
security condominiums, etc. Privately arranged, not ordered by Big
Brother.

Cf. "Schelling points for terrorism" (key words, if not exact title), an
item I wrote a few years ago about which targets are more likely to be
hit than others. Clearly there are some places more likely for attacks
than other places. And there are places downwind from nuclear reactors,
downstream from dams, downherd from rampaging looters, and so on.

Federalizing or socializing the costs of security is like federalizing
or socializing flood insurance: it takes the efficiencies of the market
away and creates distortions.

What is being missed in all of the "rush to a security state" debate is
the role of _private security arrangements_. Some examples, with a focus
here on airport and airplane security:

* one size does _not_ fit all. Not all passengers are equally likely to
be security risks. This is common sense, but the civil libertarians call
it "racial profiling." True civil libertarians know that owners of
property (e.g. United Airlines) are free to implement security
procedures as they see fit. If ABX Airlines wants to implement full body
searches of passengers and XYZ Airlines wants to implement no security
at all, to first order this should be a market decision.

(There are interesting issues of "danger to others." Friedman the
Younger covers this in his recent book on economics. "Law's Order." To
wit, XYZ Airlines, with no security procedures, might be denied use of
various airports, etc. A standard tort issue. The outcome is not
precisely known, but a move toward "market competition for security
measures" would flesh out many of these issues and outcomes.)

* travel associations, with members vetted by other members, even with
security bonds. Think "web of trust," but much more formalized. A "know
your passenger" scheme that has no government involvement, no coercion.
Those who are not "vetted" (with biometric/unforgeable credentials) are
free to wait in the cattle lines with the other cattle before boarding
the jets operated by private players.

(Yes, this involves prying into private lives and habits, but no more so
than corporations tend to do. For example, a 3-year employee of
Cybergistics is "known" to many in his company. His basic interests and
hobbies are known. More importantly, his coworkers and managers have a
pretty good idea if he's a whacko, or a recently-arrived student from
the Sudan who quotes the Koran. This company can "vouch" for one of its
employees flying.)

* Private security screening. Just as there are multiple airlines, in a
free society, why not multiple screening companies? (No carrier would be
"required" to accept the work product of a screening company, naturally.
All a matter of market negotiations.) Some security screening would be
done with the aforementioned "vouching." Some might be cases where
customers pay several bucks a head to pass through various sniffers.

Again, those who don't have arrangements with either vouchsafing
entities or screening entities at the terminal can stand in the 2-hour
"public" line. Akin in many ways to health care, with those having no
other arrangments going to the public hospitals (not that I endorse
taxpayer-subsidized public hospitals).

* Close tie-ins with insurance. After all, the nature of insurance is
_betting_. And it's a much better bet that a middle-aged white professor
from Kansas is less likely to be a hijacker or bomber than someone like
a 22-year-old immigrant from Pakistan with no career, no known
associates who will vouch for him, etc. What would the "premiums" be for
each of these potential travellers, and what screening steps would their
respective insurance companies require?

* Increased use of private charters, which already have their own
security arrangements. Again, with vouching. (Some corporate travel
systems already use privately-owned jets, with pickup from passenger
homes. One of my neighbors works with the leading such company:
luxurious jets, very fast passenger loading times, private security
arrangements. They _know_ their customers, through vouching and past
travel, and they don't have to have corporate travellers arriving
"two hours early" for some bullshit inspection for fingernail clippers
and copies of "Hayduke Lives!")

* Part of the market competition is also the security policy on the
airplane itself. Some companies will have titanium/Kevlar doors to the
cockpit, some will have the typical aluminum foil/balsa wood
consructions. Passengers will vote with their feet and pocketbooks, as
it should be. Security will be driven by market forces, not by top-down,
one size fits all, central planning.

The basic point is to have the costs of security, of assurance, of
insurance, *privatized*. Not for religious reasons of private vs. public
funding, but to get the richness and flexibility that privatized,
incentive-driven, risk-sensitive private markets provide.

The similarity with Stephenson's "burb-claves" and with already-common
private security firms is obvious. Even similarities with the Mafia.

This idea is easy to implement, too. For example, let El Al begin flying
within the continental U.S. Let them apply _their_ standards. Passengers
can vote with their feet and their pocketbooks on whether they'll fly
United or El Al.

And let _all_ carriers compete on the basis of their security policies.
Many of them already have their own terminals at major airports, so they
can in principle easily implement their own screening policies, their
own vouching policies.

Lots more ideas come to mind, and are fairly easy to implement. The key
is to get away from the "one size fits all."

Liberty-fearing people like Reason's Cathy Young can sign up for her own
security policies: no "scary" free speech, no plastic knives, no
fingernail clippers, no "Hayduke Lives!" novels allowed.

Sounds fair to me. Libertarians should be pushing the market approach to
security.

Reactions?

--Tim May
"Ben Franklin warned us that those who would trade liberty for a little
bit of temporary security deserve neither. This is the path we are now
racing down, with American flags fluttering."-- Tim May, on events
following 9/11/2001