Neverending Cycle ( was : Re: USPS: glowing by leaps and bounds)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Tue Oct 23 16:02:04 PDT 2001

mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:

> Our society has, for all practical purposes, endless vulnerabilities. If
> as each vulnerability is exploited we plan on taking drastic steps to
> secure it from future exploitation, the costs will be staggering and the
> list of unsecured items will hardly diminish. The result of the current
> approach is an authoritarian society with a neverending, self-justifying
> security project ahead of it. Sounds like a wonderful place to live if
> you're an insect.

        The really weird thing about this whole anthrax scene is that all
the spores seem to be of the Ames variety, which is a militarized anthrax
developed in Ames, Iowa. It really seems suspicious to me that these are of
domestic origin -- bin Ladin or whoever would be in all likelihood be using
a Russian variety or an Iraqi subset.
      You also have to consider the delivery -- not really what I would
suspect of a true terrorist group, and really pretty minor league in actual
damage. It really looks to me to be the work of fedzi provocateurs.
       But getting back to the "war of some terrorism" --- their whole
approach is wrong. You need to treat the source of the disease, not the
symptoms and the source is the hatred, often justifiable, of the terrorists
for Amerika.
       Instead, the big push is to bomb the shit out of Afghans -- creating
more hatred and little more -- and stomping the Constitution and civil
liberties here.
Sigh! Time to watch "Wag the Dog" again. And after that, "Brazil".

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS
CyberShamanix
hseaver at cybershamanix.com