FBI considers torture as suspects stay silent

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Tue Oct 23 12:33:01 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> wrote :
>On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:50:01PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>> Yes, but this is one of those manufactured, utterly implausible
>> situations. I cannot think of a single instance where a suspect had this
>> kind of knowledge, with this kind of stakes, and with this kind of "next
>> three hours" timetable. Even relaxing each item by a factor of 10...I
>> can't think of any such examples.
>
>Neither can I. My intention was not to suggest that it's acceptable to
>rip out the accused's toenails, slowly, but to suggest that this is
>the kind of scenario that we may hear politicians talking about in short
>order.
>
>-Declan

I wonder what orders our raiders have in regards prisoners?

While we're debating what may or may not happen here my guess is that
the decision about what to do with captured al Quaeda or Taliban
higher-ups on the battlefield was decided long ago. The interrogators
and their bags of tricks are ready for subjects. We have to know what
they know.

Mike